Acute accents for language purposes

Hi all,

I'm currently learning Russian, and I needed a way to create the «acute accent» on any letter I choose, so as to help me pronounce the words properly.

For example, "Я рабо́таю" (note the acute accent on the second vowel "о")

So I've created this little snippet to help me out:

{clipboard}́{note: preview=no; trim=yes}In Character Map choose «Character Set : Unicode» → «Group by : Unicode Subrange > Combining Diacritical Marks»{endnote}

Here's how that works.

1. Highlight the letter that you want accented
  2. Cut it with CTRL+X (or CMD+X if you're on Mac)
  3. Run the snippet

Text Blaze will reproduce the letter in question with the acute accent on top.

And here are some other applications for writing special language characters. Let's take Spanish as an example.

Let's say you want to create the letter á.

All you need to do is put it in a snippet, and then give it the shortcut aaa (or any other shortcut that is easy for you to memorize. Type the shortcut and TB will give you back the special letter. Definitely beats remembering the UNICODE combinations, especially if you're working on a laptop without a keypad. Additionally, if you're being graded on your writing, not having the correct characters will cost you marks.

There's also the option of having a "master snippet" that contains all the special characters in a dropdown menu.

Here's an example of how to do it:

{formmenu: name=specialCharacters; á; é; í; ó; ú; ü; ñ; ¿; ¡}

Just run the snippet and you'll be presented with a dropdown menu of all the special characters. Just pick the one you need and you're good to go.

NOTE: Dropdown menus are a PRO feature. You can still use them with the free version, but you can only use up to 5 PRO snippets per day.

Hope this helps my fellow language students :slight_smile: