Clipboard question

Hey all.

I want to use the clipboard command. But when I have more than one thing on my clipboard I have no idea how to use different items within the clipboard. Example:

I copy a phone number and the first name from one tab. Go to a new tab where my texting software is and I paste the phone number. I think have to go into my clipboard to find the name, select it and go from there.

I have made this quicker by creating shortcuts on my mouse itself to make it faster but if I could create a snippet with that clipboard command in there it would make me faster.

This is such a deep and extensive piece of software, I just wish I totally understood it so I could take full advantage of it.

Thanks in advance
Brad

1 Like

If you have multiple things on your clipboard, you can use regular expressions to access the different pieces.

This section of the docs has an example that might be helpful:

Scott

Thanks as always. Your response is always great. I must be a dummy because I simply can't figure this out. What I have is this;

I will copy the first name out of a form. There is no "Name" qualifier on the cell that I am copying. It is just a name.

Then I copy the phone number of that person.

So I have a clipboard with a phone number in my "first slot" on my clipboard and the name in the "second slot" of my clipboard.

By using the {clipboard} command it will pull the first slot (which is the phone number) of the clipboard just fine. How do I write the {=extractregex({clipboard}, command to pull JUST the second slot (the name of the client)?

I hope that is not too complicated.

Right now my command line looks like this:

{clipboard} {key:enter}{key:tab}{key:tab}{wait: delay=2s}

That places the phone number in my text software, Tabs down the page to the texting entry window, waits 2 seconds for the page to load and place the cursor in the window.

This is where I want to add the {=extractregex({clipboard} command to pull the name off my clipboard so I can then add my pre-typed text, tab over twice to the send button and hit enter. Fully automates my entire texting process.

Thanks again and sorry this is so long.

Brad Deason

Hi Brad,

It sounds like you are using a clipboard manager that supports multiple "slots". Is that right? If so, what is the software?

Yes I am . I am on Windows 10 and it is just the Windows Clipboard. It will allow around 10 slots.

Interesting! I didn't know Windows had that type of functionality built-in.

Regardless, I don't think it's possible to directly access different Clipboard slots from a website or Chrome extension. So I don't think there is too much we can do on this.

Hi Scott - amazing software. ANYWAY we can use the 2nd last clipboard entry? I was looking for the same question when I found this post. Windows 10 has 24 items that are stored in the clipboard history. If you click "windows "v you see the full history and you can select any of the 24 and click on them to paste any of them. when I created a LinkedIn invite and reply I generally copy the NAME and the snippet will enter the name "Hi {clipboard}, it would be great to connect". My mission is to copy the COMPANY first and then copy the NAME - now the snippet could go like " "Hi {clipboard}, as you work with software at {clipboard2ndLAST} it would be great to connect" Hi Scott, as you work with software at Text Blaze it would be great to connect. If you could find a way to add all 24 that would open amazing doors for people who want to copy LinkedIn contacts to their online database! Please let us know if there is any way to do this!

1 Like

Hi all! I wanted to chime in here as I use clipboard managers a lot. I found out that ChromeOS had one built in and started using it for work a lot, but then I was moved to a Macbook and I had to use a program to get this capability (CopyClip). I have used the one on my Windows laptop as well. It seems to be prevalant in the different OS's that these clips could be kept track of, however, in ChromeOS and Windows they have it right there without needing another program to access it. Maybe there could be a way to get TB to work with it?

Hi @CheckIDinSAP - welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

One way to do what you're asking, is to copy the whole paragraph of content (which would include both the name and the company), and then use functions to break that data up into a list and use only the items that interest you.

Since I don't know the layout of the data you'll be extracting from, I'll use a generic example:

{note: trim=right}
{formparagraph: name=content; rows=3; default=Cedric Debono
Community Lead
Text Blaze}
{list=split(content, "\n"); trim=right}
{endnote: trim=right}
{=list[1]} works at {=list[3]}

Would something like that work for you?

Hi Laren, thanks for your thoughtful comment. Unfortunately building a clipboard manager is considerably difficult in a Chrome extension compared to that in a operating system software. Therefore, a feature related to clipboard managers is not on our roadmap anytime soon.

Could you tell how you intend to use a clipboard manager integrated with the extension? Is it similar to the original post by Brad?

1 Like

Hi Cedric, Thanks for the example? I will give this a try but I am not sure how I would break this up from LinkedIn? I would like to use this to invite people on LinkedIn.

If you go to ANY LinkedIn contact and you copy anything between the Picture and the connections, You get the following information as per example:

Derek Benz 2nd degree connection2nd
Chief Information Security Officer at The Coca-Cola Company

The Coca-Cola Company

Columbia Business School
Atlanta, Georgia, United States Contact info

I would like to create a snippet that would take the first name and the company and create and invite like
Hi "Derek" as you are involved with SAP at "The Coca-Cola Company" allow me to introduce our bioLock technology and connect with you bla bla bla

If the title is related it would even be better to extract First Name / Title and Company:

Hi "Derek" as the "Chief Information Security Officer" you are for sure involved with SAP at "The Coca-Cola Company" ? Allow me to introduce our bioLock technology and connect with you bla bla bla

If you can help me to make this happen with a Snippet I would be very thankful! Greetings to Malta, Thanks Thomas

Hi @CheckIDinSAP

Here's one way to do that:

{note}
{formparagraph: name=data; cols=50; rows=8; default=

The Coca-Cola Company

Columbia Business School
Atlanta, Georgia, United States Contact info}
{note: preview=no}
{name=extractregex(data, "\w+")}
{company=split(data, "\n")[4]}

Hi {=name} as you are involved with SAP at {=company} allow me to introduce our bioLock technology and connect with you bla bla bla

OR

{note}
{formparagraph: name=data; cols=50; rows=8; default=

The Coca-Cola Company

Columbia Business School
Atlanta, Georgia, United States Contact info}
{name=extractregex(data, "\w+")}
{company=split(data, "\n")[4]}
{title=extractregex(split(data, "\n")[2], "([\s\w]+)\sat")}

Hi {=name} as the {=title} you are for sure involved with SAP at {=company}? Allow me to introduce our bioLock technology and connect with you bla bla bla

Let me know how that works out for you :slight_smile:

Hi Cedric - thanks for your help and the quick response time! The second example looks great except it is always doing it for Derek - I guess the last question is how if we can replace the DEFAULT value (first part of the 2nd line) wiht ? Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. Remember the mission is to copy the front page and have it automatically inserted in the text. Thanks for your help to make this happen.

Hi @CheckIDinSAP

If I understand correctly, you want to pull the data directly from your clipboard. If so, here's how you do it:

{name=extractregex({clipboard}, "\w+")}
{company=split({clipboard}, "\n")[4]}
{title=extractregex(split({clipboard}, "\n")[2], "([\s\w]+)\sat")}

Hi {=name} as the {=title} you are for sure involved with SAP at {=company}? Allow me to introduce our bioLock technology and connect with you bla bla bla

Note that this won't work in the forum, as the {clipboard} contents can't be previewed here. But if you copy it to your dashboard and then copy the text you want to use, it should work perfectly.

Thanks Cedric,
the Title did not work - but perhaps that is too much of a request anyway as the title sometimes is VERY VERY long and has multiple entries! It works fine now with the name and the company - Thanks for your help!

@CheckIDinSAP - the likelihood is that there's some kind of character in the title, and regex is not matching it. Regex can be pretty tricky to get it right.

Another way to do this could be with the Selector Tool. Here's a short video explaining how that works:

2 Likes

I really love how easy this tool can be! There are times when it's still tricky or even impossible to get it to grab what I want, but that is so much less than the times that this works so great for me!

2 Likes