Draft/Publish model for shared snippets

Problem description

Organisation editors need to edit a shared snippet to make some changes. Currently all the changes are immediately live for all shared users. This creates issues when the change takes several minutes to complete. While the change is being made, any trigger of the snippet will probably not be any correct.

How this can be handled currently

One way to handle this is to duplicate the "live" folder. Make your changes on the duplicate snippets. Then once the changes are done, delete your live folder and rename the duplicate folder. Update permissions accordingly.

Feature request

Allow users to create one draft version of a shared folder. Any change in draft folder will only be visible to other users who explicitly opt in to the draft folder. At any time, user can only opt in to the draft or the live version, not both.

The org editors can: 1. discard existing draft 2. create new draft if none exists 3. publish current draft for all users (also discarding the draft).

This is similar to the duplicate folder method I mentioned above. But the above method is has too many steps, whereas this draft model would be much cleaner to work on (as it is integrated directly with Text Blaze).

I am not sure how this would work with imported snippets (do you import the published version or the draft version?)

Interesting idea.

Could a simpler solution work for some orgs. If a Shared Snippet is being edited and someone tries to use the snippet could you throw up a pop-up warning the user that the snippet is currently being edited and may be out of date, or some simular mechanism. It can then let the user either continue or cancel.

That's an interesting suggestion. Although, I think, for larger organizations with business-critical snippets, this wouldn't be feasible. It may work for smaller teams.

1 Like

Yep, totally agree.

Maybe for the really big orgs, something like the git model, where by you pull/push/merge changes into the live snippet/branch. Although I suspect there are issues with this approach as well.

1 Like