Essential Search Feature: search for two or more words not beside each other

Greetings,

I'm testing out products and have narrowed it down to TextExpander versus TextBlaze, and they both have essential features that the other does not have.

In the case of Text Blaze, the search feature (e.g. Ctrl-Shift-/ on a Windows computer) does not allow for search within snippets where two words are beside each other, but Text Expander does.

To illustrate, if I have a snippet "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog," I can successfully pull it up as a search result in Text Expander when I search for "fox lazy" but not in Text Blaze.

For me, at least, this is an absolute requirement before I can adopt a product in an efficiency product category such as Text Expander and Text Blaze.

How quickly could this essential feature be added to Text Blaze?

Be well,

Jamie

Hi @Jamie_B Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

We do support fuzzy search, but not exactly like the way you're looking for. But thanks for letting me know about it. I will look into it next week.

Just for context, the search query you described in TextExpander: does it require any special search filter in TextExpander, or is it in the default search experience? Does it need any wildcards or quotation marks, for example, to bring up the search result?

Hi Gaurang,

Thank you for your quick response.

For context, the search query I require is in the default search experience: the pop-up dialogue that occurs when I use the Windows keyboard short of Ctrl-Shift-/.

I would be happy with a barebones solution that simply narrows down possibilities each time I add words that are not necessarily beside each other. I realize this is a more demanding search regarding resources in the background, but for me, it's essential.

Anything Text Blaze adds beyond that would be the "icing on the cake." For example, the plus sign (+) in front of a word to indicate that it "must" absolutely appear in the snippet would be a bonus. I think Google Search does this. Using quotation marks to express that two or more words "must" be beside each other would be similarly useful. But again, I want to emphasize that these would be wonderful bonuses. For the moment, I'd be happy just to be able to drill down to multiple words in a snippet that are not necessarily beside each other.

Hi @Jamie_B ,pPlease try this again and let me know if it works for you.

1 Like

Hi Gaurang,

I tried this, and it works! Congratulations.

This was one of the speediest feature add-ons I've ever seen a SaaS company do. Impressive.

I feel that this feature adds a great deal to Text Blaze, and I'm convinced many users will appreciate it.

Once again, thank you for adding this feature to the product.

Be well,

Jamie

3 Likes