[Introduction thread] Please introduce yourself and tell us how you use Text Blaze

Greetings Gang!

My name is Sean Patrick Ocheese MacCath-Moran, and I live in the most beautiful place on earth, which is of course Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. I'm a programmer analyst by trade, focusing on LAMP stack dev, primarily in back-end Drupal these days. As an interesting fact, I'll mention that I'm presently building a boat that will sail, motor, or row, having never attempted any such thing before and having never worked with fiberglass; it's a 10 foot nesting dingy (i.e. it breaks in two and stacks into itself).

I use Text Blaze in three contexts. The primary one is in my online activism, which primarily happens on facebook. I engage conversations on animals rights quite a bit, and have a slew of ready-made responses to common questions, most of which need very little tweaking to fit a given situation. The second in generating invoice reply emails (in gmail) to my local bulk-orders group; my spouse and I organize a bulk foods order from multiple local vendors for our community. The third is at work, where I have a few regular group emails to generate providing details on our weekly server pushes (also in gmail).

I don't collaborate with others yet via text blaze, but I'm considering opening my activism snippets up for public use.

I can't say that I use one particular command more than others per se. The one I enjoy using most is {repeat} though, which I use to good effect by way of taking advantage of its variable scoping rules.

For a snippet, I'll share one that's included in pretty much all of my snippets; it attempts to auto detect what format to use based on the current domain, and failing that provides a dropdown to select the format to use. This is included in other snippets, which then output different content based on the format.

4 Likes