Productivity hacks

Since we're all Text Blaze users, I think it's safe to assume that we love being more productive.

Let's share our productivity tips in this thread so we can learn from each other. I'll start by posting one of my favorites in the first reply.

Mise en plas (everything in its place)

This is a technique that is used extensively by professional chefs in the kitchen.

The kitchen is a very fast-paced and high-pressure environment. Chefs need to operate on instinct—there's no time to think.

For this reason, they have rigorous routines for prepping all of their items in specific places, so they can reach them without even having to look. Every extra second spent looking for an item puts the kitchen behind schedule and expend valuable mental and physical energy for the team.

As someone on the ADD spectrum, I'm extremely protective of my mental and physical energy. ADD becomes increasingly harder to manage as fatigue increases. So I use mise en plas to prevent "minor energy leaks" throughout the day.

One way I do this, is by prepping the items for my morning tea the night before—mug, teaspoon, teabag, water in the kettle. When I wake up, I grab the milk as I walk by the fridge, turn on the kettle and I have everything already in place.

I know it sounds trivial, maybe even superfluous. But ever since I've started doing this for various activities, I've found that I can maintain my focus longer throughout the day, especially on the more challenging ones.

Hopefully you'll find this tip useful too. If you have any tips from your own experience, please share them here, no matter how insignificant you might think they are. Every little bit helps.

4 Likes

Personally, I think investing in touch typing early on is really helpful. Having a reasonably high wpm means you don't have to worry about writing a message to someone explaining your thoughts, even if they are a bit verbose. Of course, this doesn't help in repetitive typing (this is where Text Blaze comes in haha), but when you're to write personalized messages, it can make typing the whole message quite effortless.

2 Likes

You're right. The mental effort of having to look at a keyboard and hunt for the letters can be really exhausting.

Being a writer, my typing speed and accuracy developed through unrelenting daily typing activity :rofl:

But there are fun ways to increase typing speed. If you're into videogames, I strongly recommend this one:

(Disclaimer: I have absolutely no affiliation with this game or with Steam)

It's an adventure game with a really sweet story and gorgeous art style. The combat is based on typing. Every enemy that attacks you is assigned a word, and you need to type that word to fire at the enemy and destroy it.

Definitely beats typing "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs" 500 times per day :grin:

2 Likes

Another useful tip that I learned back when I was writing content for Pavlok.

There's this psychological phenomenon called "Solomon's Paradox". In essence, it's the tendency to be wiser about another person’s problems compared with our own.

You can read more about it in this paper if you're interested:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0956797614535400

When I'm unsure about a decision I have to make, I try to imagine what my advice would be if I were trying to give it to another person. It takes some practice, but it's a technique that has served me well.

Hope you find it useful.

1 Like

@Cedric_Debono_Blaze I am often experiencing "solomon's paradox" and the twin brother, "parkinson's paradox" in healthcare.

Parkinson's paradox is related to time management. Specifically, "being too busy" is unrelated to productivity as we mentally "fill-time" without regard to productivity achievement.

In public health, everyday I experience diabetic, obese, smokers who don't exercise or take their medication as directed and then analyize how their clinicians are not doing a good job in fixing progressive diabetes (solomon's paradox). The most difficult patients to schedule for visits in their own home are the unemployed homebound patient because their television, telephone, lunch, and nap schedule fills the time of the regular work day (parkinson's paradox).

Highly productive-achieving people self-care and manage chronic health conditions well (or avoid chronic health problems) in spite of demanding schedules. Incredibly productive-achieving people, seem to "find time" rather than angst over perceived "filled time."

random thought of the day.

2 Likes

As much as this may sound counterintuitive, my biggest productivity hack is to write everything down in task and then plot and organize the game plan from there. Seeing the big picture first helps me determine what I need to do, and what systems I can use as productivity hacks from there. That's why this product comes in so damn handy for me.

1 Like

@Christopher_Sauer - I definitely see the value in that. I'm a big proponent of frontloading work.

I have to tell you friends, for anyone who is in Microsoft365, their app, Power Automate has been an absolute game changer for me over the past few years. Especially the past 12 months. Being able to automate repetitive tasks behind the scenes, set up worksheets and tables that automatically get populated every day and notifications sent to whomever, link other programs together like Salesforce, Excel, Outlook & Slack, etc. The list goes on and on. It's ridiculous the amount of time I save every day, not to mention the other teams in my organization whom I have built automated solutions for. It's taken some getting used to, and its a constant-learning situation and testing new ideas. However, the reward is invaluable.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for sharing @Brad_Hedinger :slight_smile:

1 Like