Quote selected text?

When refining a search by putting a word in quotes, is there any way to copy selected text to the clipboard and then paste it back with quotes?

Pasting "clipboard contents" is easily done, but there is no way to copy selected text?

Hi, Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

You can use a snippet like this:

"{clipboard}"

To run this, you will need to:

1. select the text
  2. press Ctrl+C/Cmd+C to copy it
  3. type your snippet shortcut to trigger the snippet

You can use our native desktop apps to trigger a copy action. In that case, the snippet would look like:

{repeat:5}{key:shift-leftarrow}{endrepeat} <-- selects previous five characters
{key:ctrl-c} <-- copies the selection
{key: backspace} <-- deletes the selection
"{key:ctrl-v}" <-- pastes back with quotation marks

Let me know if it works for you.

@Gaurang_Tandon I have a similar need to be able to copy something to the clipboard automatically - I have this snippet extracting and cleaning up text from a website:

{=replace(replace({site: text; select=yes; selector=[data-testid="person"] .nameWrapCss_n1cb1218; page=https://www.familysearch.org/*; multiple=no},"\r",""),"\n"," ")}

I now wish to paste it in Word. Today I have to run the snippet on the web manually copy from here:

To get it pasted into Word. It would save me many select and past operations if I could move that text, ideally unformatted as an option, to the clipboard.

Hi @paulma thanks for the feedback. One suggestion is that you can use the following:

{=replace(replace({site: text; select=yes; selector=[data-testid="person"] .nameWrapCss_n1cb1218; page=https://www.familysearch.org/*; multiple=no},"\r",""),"\n"," ")}{key:ctrl-a}

This will insert the text and also select it once inserted. Now, you can simply press Ctrl+C to copy the selected text. I understand this is not exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it's one step closer to it.

1 Like

Actually key {key:ctrl-a} followed by {key:ctrl-c} right? That I am going to try out now!

{key:ctrl-c} will only work on the desktop app. As you are using the extension, you will have to trigger those keys manually.

I'm using the desktop app, but I have not gotten {key:ctrl-c} to work yet.

Says TB "cannot perform system commands".

Hi @blazeuser,

Could you kindly confirm the application where you are using the snippet?