Help with import snippet based on drop menu

I have created 30 snippets that contain information and paragraph fields. These snippets I want to be imported in to another snippet based on a drop menu that contains the corresponding 30 choices. Can someone help me with the code on how i can do this?

Here is the drop down code set up:

{formmenu: default=Analytical Thinking; Concern for Accuracy and Details; Corporate Social Responsibility; Decision Making; Information Seeking; Know-how Transfer, Mentoring, Coaching; Knowledge of Business Environment; Motivating Others; Problem Solving; Valuing Diversity; Verbal and Written Communication; Achievement; Change Leadership; Commitment to Learning; Conceptual Thinking; Delegation; Flexibility; Influence and Charisma; Innovative or Creative Thinking; Listening, Understanding and Responding; Networking; Organizational Awareness; Planning and Organizing; Service Orientation; Strategic Thinking; Teamwork}

I have a feeling the next code should be

{if: options == "Analytical Thinking"}{import: /AnalyticalThinking}

but i dont know how to set this up for all options and there corresponding snippet that needs to be imported. Can somebody help with some guidance?

Hi @andrew.hairs,

Incidentally, this is one of my favorite workflows.

Here's how you do it:

{formmenu: name=options; default=Analytical Thinking; Concern for Accuracy and Details; Corporate Social Responsibility; Decision Making; Information Seeking; Know-how Transfer, Mentoring, Coaching; Knowledge of Business Environment; Motivating Others; Problem Solving; Valuing Diversity; Verbal and Written Communication; Achievement; Change Leadership; Commitment to Learning; Conceptual Thinking; Delegation; Flexibility; Influence and Charisma; Innovative or Creative Thinking; Listening, Understanding and Responding; Networking; Organizational Awareness; Planning and Organizing; Service Orientation; Strategic Thinking; Teamwork}

{if: options == "Analytical Thinking"}{import: /AnalyticalThinking}{elseif: options == "Concern for Accuracy and Details"}{import: /ConcernforAccuracyandDetails}{elseif: options == "Corporate Social Responsibility"}{import: /CorporateSocialResponsibility}{endif}

...and so on.

Let me know if you need additional help :slight_smile:

That's great. thank you. It is all working but unfortunately I seem to have gone down a rabbit hole on this and will probably end up with something far bigger than I planned. It is however a really cool way build flexible templates on the fly. In this case I have a comprehensive list of competencies that my team can choose from, which then displays the questions to ask and a rank with explanation. This 'should' allow to us to get some consistency in the interviewing our team does as the end result is a very simple framework to follow for each interview.

1 Like

@andrew.hairs
If you could give me a more concrete example, we could try to figure out a more practical way of pulling it off. Doesn't have to be actual, it can be dummy information.

One more thing. What's the purpose of this snippet's output exactly? Is it intended for your team to just read off of, or is it meant for the respondents? Will it require anything to be filled in? Because in that case, you might find interesting a new experimental feature that we're exploring — Snappets. You can read more about them here:

@Cedric_Debono_Blaze. At the moment I have created a separate snippet for each competency that contains a description of the competency and some sample questions. At the end of the text I have a drop down menu that allows the user to rate the competency from 5 to 1. based on the selection some further information gets displayed that gives a more detailed explanation for each rating (drawn from more snippets i created). Then there is a paragraph box for the user to take interview notes in,

These snippets are then linked to a separate interview snippet that has a script and instructions for the user to follow. They ask standard question to collect essential information. Then they come to the competency interview part and have 5 drop down menus that display all of the available competency choices. Select one and the above snippet is displayed.

I wouldn't mind experimenting with the snappet feature as i am about to start a new website project and can see value in creating an interview builder for clients to use and/or for candidates to build practice interviews for themselves. HR usually know how to interview people but not many line managers i know feel comfortable that they are holding an effective interview, so giving something that gives them an easy to follow template maybe useful. As a bonus if i get to collect a contact information and be sent a copy of the interview being generated then that would be a great way to prep candidates better or develop new business.

similar to this: https://www.seek.com.au/employer/hiring-advice/interview-builder

Please feel free to reach out to me by email if you think this is something that blaze can help with.

Thanks for elaborating.

As I said, right now the feature is still very experimental. I'll put you on our list of possible collaborators for when we get to that stage. :slight_smile:

Appreciate that -- I do have a follow up question on this. Is there a way I can set the drop down menu to be multiple choice and then import the competency snippets of the corresponding selections?

Yes it can be done. It's slightly more involved though.

{formmenu: name=options; multiple=yes; default=Analytical Thinking; Concern for Accuracy and Details; Corporate Social Responsibility; Decision Making; Information Seeking; Know-how Transfer, Mentoring, Coaching; Knowledge of Business Environment; Motivating Others; Problem Solving; Valuing Diversity; Verbal and Written Communication; Achievement; Change Leadership; Commitment to Learning; Conceptual Thinking; Delegation; Flexibility; Influence and Charisma; Innovative or Creative Thinking; Listening, Understanding and Responding; Networking; Organizational Awareness; Planning and Organizing; Service Orientation; Strategic Thinking; Teamwork}

{repeat: for choice in options}
{=choice}
{if: choice == "Analytical Thinking"}{import: /AnalyticalThinking}{elseif: choice == "Concern for Accuracy and Details"}{import: /ConcernforAccuracyandDetails}{elseif: choice == "Corporate Social Responsibility"}{import: /CorporateSocialResponsibility}{endif}
{endrepeat}

...and so on.

Thank you!

1 Like

@andrew.hairs - just realized I made a mistake in the syntax in the post above. I've fixed it now. Sorry about that.

Thank you @Cedric_Debono_Blaze for this.
Is there any easy way by which I can create form dropdown with more than 50 options? And gradually if I want to update this list as and when an item is to be added, what is fastest way to update it?

1 Like

Hi @Pratik_Shah,

Yes, you can use lists.

Here's a simple example:

{listvalues=["item 1", "item 2", "item 3", "item 4"]}

{formmenu: name=menu; values={=listvalues}}

Try adding or removing items from the list, and you'll see that it will reflect the options in the menu.

Here's another nifty little trick using a variable and a {formtext} command:

{listvalues=["item 1", "item 2", "item 3", "item 4", other]}
{formtext: name=other}

{formmenu: name=menu; values={=listvalues}}

This is great for when you need to add one-off values that you don't necessarily need in your regular list.

1 Like

Thank you. This looks great.

1 Like

Glad you found it useful. Would love to see some examples that you come up with. I'm sure other users would find them extremely useful.

Yes sure, will share it here for sure. I am actually a legal and compliance consultant and we need to prepare many documents / checklist for many clients based on many different logics.. I am just trying to ease this thing with Textblaze and will see how I can improve it.

As of now, I have just prepare a simple Snippet using Form features which creates long document. You can check it here.

Sending quotation and checklist to clients: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

2 Likes

@Pratik_Shah - wow, great snippet! Well done :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Pratik_Shah - I was wondering, do you know of any decent and free resources with contract templates? It might be a cool resource if I could turn them into snippets (with the owner's permission and due credit) and make them available as a shared Text Blaze snippets folder.

What do you think?

Thank you. Actually trying to learn more and more in Textblaze.
I need your help here. Actually, in this snippet, I have multiple documents. Can we add page break in this snippets. I tried it using {click:Shift+Enter} but it did not work.

1 Like

That is great idea. I am actually working on something similar to this but mainly on Indian context. I am trying to create a "Package" which can help my colleagues (people who are working in my field) on generating documents quickly including contracts and agreements.

I will share you the resource link if I find any which can be used globally.

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge, that's not currently possible.

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like