Nested folders for organisation

Hi TextBlaze Team,
A feature request: For organisational purposes, it would be nice to be able to nest the folders of snippets underneath each other several levels. This way I could have one folder with "Roam Snippets" and another with "Rest of Web". Under the former folder I could then have a series of folders relevant to certain aspects of Roam such as "Template Snippets" and "Organisational Snippets".

Thanks!

@scott - Is there anything planned along these lines?

This would be useful, but no plans for it at the moment. The primary issue is that nesting would complicate the sharing model and how folder settings are applied

For example, if you had folder "ABC" that was shared with a@example.com and b@example.com, and it contained folder "XYZ" that was shared with "c@example.com", what would you expect the permissions to be for snippets in folder XYZ?

Just c@example.com? Or should it be all three users? Or maybe just the permissions of the top level folder and any sub-folder permissions are ignored?

Reasoning about hierarchical permissions like this is quite confusing and there is no default mental model people have for it.

Fair. Tbh, I would prefer tags over folders (showing my Roam stripes here :wink: ), but I imagine that would make the permissions model more complicated rather than simpler. And I get this isn't a priority. I'm sure you have a long laundry list of other items which are higher priority! :slight_smile:

@yet-another-tim

I know it's not what you're asking for, but here's one way I keep my snippets organized, maybe you'll find it useful.

I set up my shortcuts to start with a specific character, based on their "affiliation". For instance:

Snippets starting with + will be Roam
Snippets starting with / are for emails

And so on.